Ecosystems Scholarship Fund
About the Scholarship
The Ecosystems Scholarship Fund is a new scholarship established through the Community Foundation of South Puget Sound in Olympia, WA. This scholarship fund is unique in that it provides a systematic process for assisting students with their college expenses in pursuing careers in natural resources and land use planning. Also, donors who employ people in natural resources and land use planning can have confidence that this scholarship will ultimately create a pool from which they can hire future employees.
Students meeting the following criteria will be considered for a scholarship up to $5,000:
- Declared major in natural resources or land use planning. Natural resources include the fields of forestry, fisheries, wildlife, water resources, marine and freshwater ecology, air quality, geology, renewable energy, ecosystems management, climate change, environmental sciences and other closely related areas. Land use planning includes all activities that address zoning, infrastructure development and policies that ensure land is used or managed to benefit the human population and to protect the environment.
- Sophomore status or above currently enrolled at one of the following institutions:
- University of Washington
- Washington State University
- Western Washington University (Huxley College of the Environment)
- The Evergreen State College.
- Minimum Grade Point Average of 3.0 in their college level courses.
- A positive attitude and a passion for nature demonstrated through involvement (volunteer or employment) in an environmental organization or hands-on work.
- Submit three letters of references providing information on the applicant’s academic, work ethic, and social attributes of the student.